“Ethniks Systems (Pty) Ltd” refers to Ethniks Systems Proprietary Limited. Ethniks Systems (Pty) Ltd is part of the Ethniks Group of companies.
This Policy explains how we obtain, use, and disclose Customer information, in accordance with the requirements of the Protection of Personal Information Act, Act No. 4 of 2013 (“POPIA”).
At Ethniks Systems Pty Ltd (and including this website, POPI Act-Compliance) we are committed to protecting privacy and to ensure that personal information is collected and used properly, lawfully, and transparently.
Your privacy is important to us
Protecting privacy is very important to us and we are committed to keeping all the information is shared with us safe and secure, in accordance with the very latest legislation.
What is personal information
We need certain information to enable the procurement of products and solutions from us. Personal information includes any personal information that is specified under the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013. This policy applies whenever we process the personal information of a person visiting any of our marketing platforms or communicating with us through any of our communication channels like email or by calling our customer service agents.
It also applies to a third-party and we process information because of a relationship with our customer, for example if you use a solution sold to our customer.
We may amend this policy from time to time, in line with changes required by legislation or our business. You must therefore review the policy whenever you visit any of our channels for any such changes. The amended version shall supersede and replace all previous versions. By entering into any agreement with us, or by applying to enter any such agreement, or by using our website, or any other Ethniks Systems (Pty) Ltd platform you agree to the terms of this policy.
What is the Protection of Personal Information Act and how does it protect you
the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (“POPI”) is aimed at protecting all your personal information and tells us what we must and must not do with it. POPI ensures that we always handle your personal information responsibly, in a way that protects you and your privacy.
In addition to POPI, Ethniks Systems (Pty) Ltd also complies with all other legislation that applies to personal information.
The type of information we collect and process
- Identity Data, which includes information concerning personal name, username, company name or similar identifier.
- Contact Data, which includes billing addresses, delivery addresses, email addresses.
- Security Data, which may include records of access to our Offices, as well as CCTV camera footage of you on or nearby our premises.
- Technical Data, which includes your internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, and other technology on the devices you use to access the Website.
We collect information in the following ways:
- Directly if provided it to us through any communication with us or via any Ethniks Systems (Pty) Ltd channel, including but not limited to our electronic channels, applications, our website or our call centre;
- From third party sources with whom we have contractual relationships to regulate the use of the information. These include, business development agencies, Tender portals, verification companies, business affiliates, and other companies within the Ethniks Systems (Pty) Ltd group.
- Public sources, including social media; and
Personal information about children and special/sensitive personal information (if and when applicable)
Ethniks Systems (Pty) Ltd will only process information about children with the consent of a competent person (someone like the parent or guardian) or if an applicable law otherwise allows it. We do not intend to use any ‘special/sensitive personal information as defined in the applicable laws.
What we use information for
We use your information for the following purposes:
- To gather contact information.
- To maintain and update our customer, or potential customer databases;
- To confirm and verify your identity or to verify that you are an authorised user for security purposes.
- To conduct market or customer satisfaction research or for statistical analysis.
- For audit and record keeping purposes.
- In connection with legal proceedings.
How we keep your information secure
We are committed to protecting your personal information and will take all reasonable internal technical and organisational security measures to prevent the loss of, damage or unauthorised access to and the unauthorised disclosure, modification or destruction of your personal information. We also have physical and electronic access controls to our buildings and only authorise access to information to those employees who require it to fulfil their designated responsibilities.
Our security policies and procedures cover:
- Physical security;
- Computer and network security;
- Access to personal information;
- Secure communications;
- Security in contracting out activities or functions;
- Retention and disposal of information;
- Acceptable usage of personal information;
- Governance and regulatory issues;
- Monitoring access and usage of private information;
- Investigating and reacting to security incidents.
How you can help keep your information secure.
If you choose to send us information online (via the internet), it is done so at your own risk. The transfer of information via the internet is not completely secure, so it is important that when entering your personal information via the internet, it is your responsibility to ensure that you always use a secure and trusted internet connection, a secure computer or other electronic device. When you use our electronic channels for transactions, you may be given an access number, username, password and/or personal identification number (PIN). You are responsible to keep all this information safe and confidential.
How long we keep information.
We retain personal information in accordance with the required retention periods in law or for legitimate business purposes. We will only retain your personal information for the purposes explicitly set out in this policy. We may keep personal information indefinitely in a de-identified format for statistical purposes.
Information we share.
We will keep your personal information confidential and only share it for purposes set out in this policy, if you have consented thereto, or if we have a legal right or obligation to share it.
We have trusted relationships with third parties who provide services to us or on our behalf. We will share information with them on a need-to-know basis and subject to a contract to
maintain the security and confidentiality of your personal information and to use it for our specified purposes only.
We may also disclose your information:
- Where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of law or industry codes.
- Where we believe it is necessary to protect our rights.
We will report any security breach to both the Information Regulator and the individuals or companies involved. If you want to report any concerns about our privacy practices or if you suspect any breach regarding your personal information, kindly notify us by sending an email to email@example.com or calling us at
+27 11 709 0600
Third-party links on our channels or platforms
The Ethniks Systems (Pty) Ltd channels, platforms and our correspondence with you may include links to other apps or third-party websites which do not fall under our supervision. We cannot accept any responsibility for your privacy or the content of these third-party sites, but we may display these links in order to make it easier for you to find information about specific subjects, products or services. Your use of and reliance on any third-party links is at your own risk.
Your legal rights
You have certain rights in relation to your personal information. As available and except as limited by POPI, the MU DPA, you have the following rights in respect of your personal information:
- Right of access: the right to be informed of and request access to the personal information that we process about you;
- Right to rectification: you may request that your personal information be amended or updated where it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- Right to erasure the right to request that we delete your personal information, subject to applicable limitations and exceptions;
- Right to restrict processing: you may request that we temporarily or permanently stop processing your personal information;
- Right to object: you may object to us processing your personal information, including to object to your personal information being processed for direct marketing purposes or in terms of;
- Right not to be subject to automated decision-making: where a decision that has a legal or other significant effect is based solely on automated decision making, including profiling, you may, subject to certain exceptions, or request that your personal information not be processed in that manner.
Where you have previously provided consent for us to process your personal information, you may also withdraw your consent. However, we may continue to process or store your personal information if another legal justification exists for the processing or storage.
Quality and access to your information
Quality: we want to ensure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove any personal information that you think is inaccurate, by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us at:
+27 11 709 0600 Please also inform us promptly of any updates to your personal information.
Access: you have the right to request that we provide you with the personal information that we hold about you. You must contact us directly to do so via the channels mentioned above. This request may be subject to an access to information request in terms of applicable laws and may require you to verify your identity, identify the rights you are wishing to exercise and pay a fee.
The right to access your personal information may further be limited in terms of applicable law.
If you qualify as a customer of any of the Ethniks Systems (Pty) Ltd Group of Companies, or we obtained your details in the context of a sale, we will market to you unless you opt out. We believe our group offering will benefit our customers and we share your information with other Ethniks Systems (Pty) Ltd group companies, and they may also market to you. Where we believe that third-party products affiliated with the group may interest you, we will also market these third-party products to you. You can always opt out from these. We will never sell your information to third parties for marketing purposes.
Some marketing and credit risk decisions are done solely through automated processes. In instances where these may have a legal impact or affect you significantly, we implement adequate measures to protect your legitimate interests.
In so far as our web pages use ‘cookies”, a cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we place on your computer or mobile device. These cookies allow us to distinguish you from other users and assist us to provide you with a good experience when browsing our website. It also allows us to improve our website. information about how you use our website is collected automatically. By accessing our website you consent to said use.
Cross-border flow of information
We may transfer your personal information to foreign countries mainly for the business purposes of the companies within the Ethniks Systems (Pty) Ltd group, for retention or if our service providers are cross border or make use of cross border systems. If you continue to use our website or apply to or enter into an agreement with us, you expressly agree that we may transfer the personal information cross border for these purposes. We will only share information cross border to recipients who are subject to international laws that similar to the applicable South African laws (POPI), or who have entered into an agreement with us to include the relevant POPI principles.
Your right to object
You may, on reasonable grounds, object to us using your information. If you object, we will stop using your information, except if the law allows its continued use.
How to lodge a complaint
If you believe we are using your information unlawfully, you may lodge a complaint directly to us at:
Contact Number: +27 11 709 0600.
Alternatively, you may lodge a complaint to the Information Regulator at:
South Africa: The Information Regulator
Address: SALU Building, 316 Thabo Sehume Street, Pretoria
Contact number: 012 406 4818
Fax number: 086 500 3351
We will stay updated to protect your information.
If you have any questions please contact us directly at email@example.com or by calling our contact number at +27 11 709 0600.